Editor’s Note: AgFunderNews recently had the opportunity to speak with The Honorable Joe Gunter, Mayor of Salinas, on the relationship between agriculture and technology both in his home town and around the world.
According to the American Association of Port Authorities, “The United States is served by some 360 commercial ports that provide approximately 3,200 cargo and passenger handling facilities.” Food and farm products, including wheat and wheat flour, corn, soybeans, rice, cotton, and coffee are listed among the leading commodities shipped for domestic and foreign trade through U.S.
As the world population continues to climb, so does the demand for food. With a finite amount of arable land, keeping up on the supply side is a major challenge for farmers located in certain regions of the world.
Microbial DNA maker Zymergen recently announced a $42M Series A led by Data Collective, with a group of investors participating, including AME Cloud Ventures, Draper Fisher Jurveston, HVF, Innovation Endeavors, Obvious Ventures, True Ventures, and Two Sigma Ventures.
Food retailers have been hot on the trail of new ways to help consumers stock their pantries and refrigerators. Using platforms similar to Amazon, many have turned to the internet to provide shoppers with a digital supermarket and fast delivery.
Following the heals of Delivery Hero’s recent $110M funding announcement, two additional online food delivery companies have announced the close of respective funding deals. Blue Apron, a New York-based meal delivery service, recently sealed a $135M Series D funding deal led by Fidelity Management and Research Company.
Berlin-based Delivery Hero announced recently that it has secured an additional $110 million in funding from two unidentified U.S.-based “leading public market investors.” This recent funding round brings Delivery Hero’s total investment deals to over $1 billion, with almost $600 million of those funds secured in 2015 alone.
Precision irrigation management provider Hortau announced earlier this week that it has secured $5 million in funding from Advantage Capital Agribusiness Partners (ACAP). ACAP, which holds a Rural Business Investment Company license from the U.S.
Idaho is the latest state to announce a new agtech event, among a slew of local, national and international events cropping up across the globe.
On June 16, 2015, Idaho will host its first-ever AgriTech summit featuring local agricultural and technology sector leaders.
Indian investment and holding company Aspada recently announced a $3.3M Series A investment in Delhi-based EM3 AgriServices. EM3 represents one of the first private sector ventures to tackle the field of farm mechanization and technology services.
VitalFields announced recently that it has secured $1.2 million in Series A funding from an international syndicate of investors, including SmartCap, the investment arm of the taxpayer-funded Estonian Development Fund, and an undisclosed large Silicon Valley based investor.
India is currently witnessing the launch of its first Food and Agri-business Accelerator program. Many entities are involved with the accelerator, with the IIMA Centre for Innovation Incubation and Entrepreneurship (CIIE) and a-IDEA, the business incubator at Indian Council of Agricultural Research’s (ICAR) National Academy of Agricultural Research Management (NAARM) leading the program.
NatureBox, the online delivery service that drops healthy snacks at your door on a monthly basis, reported $30 million in Series C investment. Global Founders Capital led Tuesday’s investment along with returning supporters SoftBank Capital, General Catalyst Partners and Canaan Partners, among others.
Berkeley-based drone company, 3D Robotics, announced an expansion of their Series C round on April 23. The company reported an additional $14 million dollars, bringing their Series C from $50 million to $64 million.
Imagine a bunch of skinny jean-wearing hipsters sitting in a well lit studio above a Cambridge coffee shop adorned with minimalist artwork, drafting the next greatest amalgamation of styles of sofa bed, ready to wow the pants off the world of industrial design.
Montreal, QC – Prevetec Microbia announced a new $4.7 million financing round on March 12. Telesystem, Groupe Jafaco Gestion, and Desjardins-Innovatech came in with 36% of the funding while the remaining 64% was brought in by the Canadian venture capital fund, VVC, which focuses on animal health.
BioGenerator, a St. Louis based, privately funded, non-profit investment organization whose express focus is on startups and entrepreneurs in the AgTech sector, has made a $200,000 seed investment in Apse, the company announced March 3.