Chinova Bioworks is actively seeking applications from qualified candidates for a Process Control Engineer. This position reports to the Chief Operating Officer.
The Process Control Engineer will be an integral member of the operations team and will collaborate between the operations and R&D teams. On inception, this role will focus on two primary tasks: (1) produce design/characterization data for Chinova Bioworks’s new process and (2) monitor, troubleshoot, and optimize operations (to drive process and product improvements) in our firstgeneration food additive production plant.
The former focus will require the candidate to use or develop testing protocols for laboratory and pilot scale equipment to produce the data required to design various processes for Chinova’s future, first-generation production plant. This will require design of experiment, implementation, data collection, analysis, and reporting work. The results generated will go directly into the design of the new equipment/process.
The later focus will consist of data collection/analysis/reporting, process troubleshooting, and process upgrades within the existing pilot production plant. The engineer will work directly with the Operations Team and report data to the head of the department.
We are democratizing access to venture capital. Learn how you can invest with us.
In the future the role will transition into that of the Plant Engineer for the new facility. This position will support the generation of commissioning documentation, support construction activities, lead the commissioning activities, and ultimately provide full engineering support of the facility. Career Opportunity Senior Process Control Engineer
Both roles are very hands-on, fast-paced, and require the candidate to take ownership of the work. A fundamental understanding of technical knowledge is required, with the ability to implement pragmatically. The individual will have to identify, recommend, and implement strategic projects to improve performance and collaborate with project teams to support process design and implementation of capital projects.
Although this is a mid-level engineering role, the properly motivated and educated entry-level candidates will be considered. The company is late into its start-up phase and significant opportunities for growth/promotion exist.
- Work with operations to improve the current process design, increase capacity, improve quality/control, improve functionality, troubleshoot plant deficiencies/bottlenecks, etc.
- Implement process control analyses to optimize plant performance.
- Develop experiment/batch/production reports.
- Data collection, analysis, and reporting • Develop new and keep existing engineering documents up to date (P&IDs, SOPs, Panel Drawings, etc.).
- Provide FEED support for existing and new capital projects.
- Process modeling and design (PFDs, P&IDs, control philosophy, etc.)
- Equipment and instrumentation selection/specification/sizing
- Respond to operational deviations and incidents. Investigate the root cause (as a team) and develop and implement a solution.
- Work across operations, engineering and R&D teams to improve existing and develop new, robust, and functional processes.
- Design, implement, and report on tests to evaluate new process designs for next generation processing technologies.
- Develop commissioning documentation and lead the implementation of commissioning activities (IQ, OQ, PQ/V).
- Develop product thermos-physical characterizations and operational requirements. Technical Skills and Knowledge:
- Sound understanding of chemical engineering fundamentals (transport phenomena, thermodynamics, controls, reactions, etc.) and the food production environment (sanitary practices and design, separations, heat treatment, instrumentation, etc.). A controls background is a plus.
- Strong trouble-shooting and hands-on skills.
- Experience in scaling up processes from pilot scale.
- Excellent communication, presentation, and analytical skills to work with Operations, Engineering, and R&D teams.
- Reading and interpretations skills – ability to interpret technical documentation & testing specifications.
- Technical writing skills.
- Attention to detail
- Pride and ownership in one’s work
- Self-motivated and driven to meet deadlines and exceed expectations
- Strong safety culture
- Willingness to learn new skills and take on multiple tasks/roles
- Ability to make decisions and execute
- Ability to balance time, cost, and quality
- Organizational and management skills
Education / Experience:
Bachelor’s or Master’s in Chemical Engineering preferred or applicable Engineering science (controls, or industrial preferred, if applicable) plus 3 – 5 years’ experience in food production and/or engineer design.
Chinova Bioworks offers competitive salaries and benefits. This position can be performed either at the corporate headquarters in Fredericton, or in Charlottetown. This position entails occasional travel around Atlantic Canada and the United States.
Email a current resume with a cover letter to David Brown, COO at [email protected] no later than July 1st, 2018.
To apply for this job please visit www.chinovabioworks.com.