Creating a healthy, humane, and sustainable food supply
The Good Food Institute (GFI) is on the forefront of the movement to use food technology and markets to solve some of the world’s biggest problems, from climate change and global hunger to antibiotic efficacy and the exploitation of billions of animals annually. The Good Food Institute’s Director of Innovation will have an critical role in ensuring that a good food future happens as quickly and efficiently as possible. At GFI, you will work with entrepreneurs and scientists to create new companies that will develop the latest innovations in plant-based and “clean meat,” dairy, and eggs; help current companies be successful; and create direct competition with conventional animal products—thereby driving millions of dollars into these sectors and transforming the food system.
How You Will Make a Difference
As GFI’s Director of Innovation, you will build and manage a team that is laser-focused on moving the best and most successful entrepreneurs, tissue engineers, synthetic biologists, plant biologists, and others into plant-based and clean food technology—both as founders of new food technology companies and as employees at companies GFI is helping to found and build. You will do this by:
- Managing all aspects of the Innovation Department, including supervising staff, overseeing department budgeting and spending, creating and implementing expansion plans, and providing visionary leadership.
- Developing and implementing strategic plans that address the needs of new and developing food companies, identifying product gaps, and making recommendations for new companies to fill the space.
- Overseeing and assisting with writing and editing business plans, conducting market research and branding exercises, recruiting top talent, and mentoring our partners on all aspects of starting and running a company.
- Building a dynamic team that will envision, develop, and support innovative companies and create forward-thinking plans for new foods, technologies, and growth in the good food space.
- Creating engaging webinars and speaking at top business schools to highlight the expertise and innovations needed in the field and to inspire more business students, entrepreneurs, and scientists to get involved.
Who We’re Looking For
We are seeking smart, thoughtful, and creative self-starters who want to push back against climate change, transform industrial animal agriculture, and develop healthy and humane foods that are accessible to everyone.
AgFunder Co-Investment Fund III is now open for investment. Closing June 15, Spots are limited.
The Director of Innovation must have an extremely strong work ethic and ability to see projects through to completion, exceptional written and verbal communication skills, strong organizational and interpersonal skills, experience leading teams, and enthusiasm for GFI’s mission. You will enjoy a high level of autonomy while being responsible for managing potentially competing needs of the team. You must be self-motivated, work well both independently and in concert with a larger group, and be comfortable working with a rapidly evolving and growing team. Top candidates will be able to envision the wider impact of GFI’s innovative entrepreneurial work and make team-inclusive, strategic decisions and plans that maximize our efforts.
The ideal candidate will have a combination of both entrepreneurial and scientific skill sets, so we are considering candidates with an MBA or similar finance/entrepreneurial degree from an accredited university and a professional or academic background that includes the hard sciences and/or engineering. All candidates should have demonstrated experience leading and managing teams.
Enjoy full medical coverage, optional dental and vision packages, a 401(k) retirement plan, working from home, flexible holiday and vacation plans, room for advancement, respectful managers, and supportive colleagues at The Good Food Institute!
To apply for this job please visit www.gfi.org.