The Manager, University Technology Advancement, is a senior-level position with TechAccel and will be located in Missouri – ideally the Greater Kansas City or St. Louis regions. The position reports to TechAccel’s Chief Executive Officer or designee.
The Manager, University Technology Advancement, will be responsible for maintaining existing and developing new university relationships and will be a key team player in identifying early-stage technology interests in agriculture and animal health and associated assets and resources at universities that will help drive and support TechAccel’s investment thesis. This is a high-impact position for the right person.
The Manager, University Technology Advancement, is critical to our Science Advancement and Commercialization success. TechAccel’s interest in universities is in four core source areas: 1) novel technology, 2) subject-matter expertise, 3) research services and 4) spin-outs/start-ups.
The Manager shall:
– Maintain and expand an existing search strategy to identify and prioritize universities that are of high potential interest to TechAccel.
– Develop a prioritized plan for communicating with universities that TechAccel already has a relationship with as well as new ones of interest.
– Initiate contact with universities to introduce TechAccel and our business model.
– Participate in visits to universities with the goal of having technical exploratory conversations with professors, principal investigators, and others to identify capabilities, interests, and opportunities. This will include taking point in arranging the logistical details with the institution and the TechAccel travel team.
– For those institutions that TechAccel has a relationship with, conduct periodic ongoing conversations with each university’s technology transfer and/or commercial relations office to seek new technology opportunities that are aligned with TechAccel’s interests, and to maintain a relationship.
– Be a continuous learner to gain familiarity with those technical areas that are of interest to TechAccel that will allow the Manger to participate and contribute to:
> Identifying institutional research resources that have the capability and capacity to perform the needed TechAccel work.
> Identify early-stage opportunities in university laboratories that have potential interest for TechAccel investment.
> Triage early-stage companies in university business accelerators to identify opportunities matching TechAccel interests.
> Identify new opportunities for innovative products using the company’s investment thesis and associated pillars as a foundation.
> Assist TechAccel’s Project Managers with project planning and university execution.
– Develop and expand a broad-based network of university contacts within the tech transfer offices as well as agriculture and animal health departments.
– Attend conferences such as AUTM to promote the TechAccel brand, network, and seek new opportunities and relationships.
– Draft new NDAs, Master Research Agreements, Research Addendums, Term Sheets, Options, and License Agreements and similar documents.
– Ph.D. in an animal science discipline and/or a D.V.M ideal. Other science disciplines or holding a Master’s Degree with strong relevant experience will be considered.
– Five (5) years of experience with at least two (2) years of experience managing a technology portfolio.
– Solid understanding of agriculture and / or animal health markets and trends.
– Firm understanding of university commercialization, venture and tech transfer programs and processes.
– Exceptional time / project management and organizational skills.
– Highly self-motivated, flexible, able to follow-through, and capable of work under pressure with associated deadlines.
– Self-starter with high level of initiative, resourcefulness; strong work ethic.
– Ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
– Independent thinking, technical passion, curiosity and creativity.
– Passion for continuous learning.
– Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
– Demonstrated ability to lead through influence. Projects will be executed by groups that are not TechAccel employees, and these appropriate soft skills are critical for success.
– Organized, detail oriented and proactive.
– Excellent oral and written communication skills required to clearly explain complex issues to both technical and non-technical audiences across functions and levels via progress reports and technical roadmaps.
– Proficient in Microsoft Applications: Word, Excel, Project, and PowerPoint.
The ideal candidate has additional skills including:
– Experience as a technology licensing officer or patent scientist, and the mindset that this is a fun and rewarding occupation.
– We will consider candidates with a plant science or agronomic background, but prefer a candidate with strong animal science and/or health and/or nutrition background to complement the existing TechAccel scientific staff.
– Comfortable having and contributing to detailed scientific discussions with university professors, and researchers both academic and industrial, and be regarded by them as a colleague.
– Experience working in and/or with industry, particularly agriculture, animal health and/or animal nutrition companies.
– Network of colleagues in organizations and fields relevant to TechAccel interests.
– Experience searching for and understanding technical patent literature. Patent science experience is a real plus.
– Strong project management and communication skills.
– Experience scouting for and evaluating technical opportunities for acquisition or investment.
– Demonstrated passion for continuous learning, and scientific curiosity.
– Experience translating academic thinking and research into commercial possibilities.
– Experience drafting or working within SBIR grants.
TechAccel LLC was founded in 2014 as a first-of-its-kind technology and venture development company in the agriculture and animal health sectors. TechAccel sources, invests in and acquires early-stage innovations. Through collaborations with universities and research institutions, TechAccel conducts advancement and de-risking research and development to ready technologies for commercialization. For more information, visit www.techaccel.net. Follow us on Twitter at @Tech_Accel.
TechAccel is an equal opportunity employer. All employees are hired, compensated, promoted, disciplined and evaluated without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, genetic information, status as a qualified individual with a disability, military status, or any other protected characteristic as established by law. TechAccel strictly prohibits any and all discrimination and harassment based upon an individual’s race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, genetic information, status as a qualified individual with a disability, military status, or any other protected characteristic as established by law. Any incident of such harassment or discrimination must be immediately reported to the appropriate management level employee.
To apply for this job please visit techaccel.net.