Mexichem, the world leader in Polymers, Fluor, Building & Infrastructure, Datacom, and Precision Irrigation has embarked on a CEO-led transformation journey to develop a purpose-fit, future-led organization that will deliver a more positive impact to the world, employees and shareholders. One of the main pillars of that journey is Innovation through which Mexichem will grow faster, gain access to cutting-edge technologies, partners with startups, universities, and research bodies, and upgrade its employees capabilities.
We are looking for a highly talented individual for the following position: Director of Corporate Venture Capital.
Unit: Corporate Innovation
Position of Direct manager: VP Innovation
Number of subordinates: None at this point, may expand in the future
Location: flexible with preference to the US
Travel requirements: often
- Overarching responsibility – lead Mexichem’s investments in venture capital funds and directly in startups that can support the growth of the company’s existing businesses and establish the foundations for entering new strategic areas.
- Lead selection process and Mexichem’s investment in VC funds around the world to:
- Stay on-top of emerging technologies.
- Build regular educations sessions to senior business and technology leaders.
- Identify opportunities for direct investments in startups
- Generate high-quality deal-flow and lead Mexichem’s direct investments in startups:
- Identify startups that can expedite growth of existing business of Mexichem.
- Identify startups that enable biz-dev efforts to penetrate and expand into new and pre- defined verticals.
- Lead evaluations and assist in deal execution.
- Interface with Mexichem’s business divisions to internalize innovation, maximize returns on realized investments, screen and identify complimentary start-ups and drive cross-fertilization opportunities.
- Map capabilities and processes required to attract startups and partners with various internal stakeholders to excel in these capabilities.
- Provide ongoing updates to the Corporate Venture Capital Advisory Board and other senior leaders in the organization relating to potential new investments and existing portfolio.
- Develop and maintain external expert and advisory boards to support decision-making and investment processes.
- Extend the firm’s reach and reputation through targeted outreach initiatives.
- At least 5-8 years of work experience in management consulting, venture capital, private equity or investment banking.
- Demonstrated interest in entrepreneurship and innovation
Strong business sense, with experience in strategic, operational, and funding aspects of startups especially in early-stage phases.
- Vast network in the startup and Venture Capital ecosystem
Organizational, quantitative and analytical skills, detail-oriented and ability to multi-task.
- Ability to work collaboratively, build trust and facilitate change in organizations.
- Understanding of financial reports, financial analysis and valuations.
- Ability to manage independently projects and meet deadlines under minimum supervision.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills.
To apply for this job email your details to Marilaura.de.la.Garza@mexichem.com