Mission of the Role
Kiverdi is looking for a detail-oriented self-starter to lead gas bioprocessing development efforts including optimization, tech transfer, scale-up, managing CMOs, and pilot/demo operations. This role involves significant interface with, and management of, outside contractors.
Kiverdi is on a mission to enable the large-scale transformation of carbon dioxide into high-value products, making the sustainable production of everyday goods a reality. To do this, Kiverdi is commercializing a NASA-inspired technology that uses microorganisms to convert carbon dioxide (with other simple mineral nutrients and gases) into raw materials for everyday consumables, such as food, clothes, personal care items, industrial goods and ultimately, biofuels. We are passionate about changing the world. We are looking for a Principal Gas Bioprocessing/Fermentation Engineer who shares our passion for having a positive impact on the world.
Join Us! Our alternative protein fund is now open. Reserve an allocation before December 15, 2019 here.
- Implement “safety-first” in all aspects of work.
- Design and manage experiments to develop and optimize low-cost gas microbial bioconversion process for sustainable products, including screening and optimizing process conditions in small-scale tests (bottle/batch), bench-scale bioreactors, pilot-scale bioreactors, and demonstration-scale bioconversion projects.
- Manage CMOs and technology partners to execute on scale-up studies, process development, and product production.
- Experience with, and ability to implement, Design of Experiments approach to optimization is desirable.
- Design and assemble specialized experimental apparatus, including customization of off-the-shelf equipment for specialized culturing requirements and innovative bioreactor prototypes.
- Develop and test scalable bioreactor architecture with an emphasis on process control strategies.
- Work with a range of challenging, non-model microorganisms including knallgas bacteria, and oleaginous, anaerobic and thermophilic microorganisms.
- Grow strains using hydrogen gas and other flammable gases as an electron donor for microbial growth and biosynthesis, and carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide & syngas as a carbon source.
- Oversee strain expansion, storage, and strain recovery.
Use existing, and develop as needed, protocols to characterize biomass and supernatant properties and constituents.
Conduct routine maintenance of fermentation laboratory equipment.
- Conduct detailed analysis, compilation, and reporting of fermentation data.
- Maintain meticulous records of work, including protocol, experiments, and data acquired, utilizing electronic databases.
- High level of integrity, honesty, leadership and teamwork skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Keen sense of prioritization: Identify and focus on what matters most
- An analytical, logical and inquisitive mind
- Patience, decisiveness and a meticulousness and systematic approach to tasks
- Excellent research and experimental laboratory skills
- Ability to interact and communicate effectively with a wide range of people
- Accuracy is highly important, coupled with the requirement of rapid reporting
- Flexibility in taking on different job assignments as company needs change
- Strong listening skills
- Enthusiastic about Kiverdi’s vision
- Curious and eager to learn
- Persistent – Can-do attitude plus action
- Flexible – Willing to do what it takes
- We not I – Collaborative/team players
- Integrity – Do what you say
- 5+ years of hands-on experience with flammable and toxic gases, including hydrogen, syngas, oxygen and carbon monoxide
- Experience with setting up reactors with flammable and toxic gases
- Experience at the pilot scale or greater
- Extensive experience in constructing and running experimental apparatus
- Experience in chemical conversions that use hydro-treatment of petroleum
- Demonstrated experience with Fischer-Tropsch process is a plus
- Experience with fermentation engineering is essential
- Experience with implementation of safety procedures in the lab is essential
PhD in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Fermentation or related field is desired. Alternatively, M.S. combined with significant relevant work experience.
This role will require all of the following:
- Work with hazardous materials
This position is based out of Kiverdi HQ in Hayward, CA with the option to work in Oakland or Berkeley part-time.
25% travel is an expected requirement to do this role effectively.
What we offer
Our total rewards package goes above and beyond just a paycheck. Whether you’re looking to build your career, improve your health, or build your retirement, we offer generous benefits to help you achieve your goals.
- Very Competitive total compensation plans.
- A 401(K) plan with an impressive employer match that’s all yours – no vesting!
- Great health, dental and vision insurance packages to fit your needs to ensure you’re happy and healthy.
- A PTO policy that empowers our employees to take the time they need to recharge!
It is the policy of Kiverdi to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, Kiverdi will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. Kiverdi is a progressive and open-minded meritocracy. If you are smart and good at what you do, come as you are.
If you are interested, apply at https://kiverdi.applicantpro.com/jobs/
More About What We Are Doing
To apply for this job please visit kiverdi.applicantpro.com.