Created by a chef and a food marketer in 2016, AVA is a Vancouver-based IoT agtech startup on a mission to unlock the green thumb in anyone. We invented AVA Byte, the world’s smartest indoor garden, to empower apartment-dwellers to grow delicious, organic food right at home, all year round, faster than soil.
High growth startup with an office located in central Vancouver, our office is full of great books, delicious healthy snacks, and some really cool technology. Play around with our 3D printers, robot arms, and thermal cameras, or come out for lunch with an entire team of foodies. Have your own dedicated workstation, join us in team building activities, and access to training and development.
We are democratizing access to venture capital. Learn how you can invest with us.
What You’ll Do
- Work with Lead Plant Scientist, R&D scientists, manufacturers, and marketing to create and manage a budget and timeline for production
- Manage the product innovation pipeline to launch new pods on time
- Help find and recommend candidates for Lead Plant Scientists, university grant partners, and manufacturers
- Manage pod development and R&D cycle including finding reliable seed suppliers, substrate suppliers, manufacturing and fulfillment partners
- Ensuring that contractors are meeting deadlines, and that our supply chain is being well managed
- Managing R&D grant documentation and filing
- Work with IP lawyers to turn R&D into IP and help drafting the technology behind future patents
- Help to shape a culture of creativity, inclusivity, and innovative thinking through patient communication, candid feedback, and organized project planning
We encourage you to apply even if you do not think you meet all of the qualifications.
- 3+ years of project management experience
- Minimum Bachelor degree in sciences and/or management
- Preference for specific studies in plant biology, chemistry, engineering, project management, horticulture, nutrient development, substrate development
What We’re Looking For
- Expert in creating and managing complex budgets and timelines with multidisciplinary teams to help prioritize, structure, and meet deadlines
- Exceptional organizational, communication, and written skills
Understanding of science and laboratory practices and needs
- Experience with SR&ED and IP, patent, and/or lab documentation highly preferred
- Resourceful in finding grant funding, as well as developing and maintaining network with industry professionals to help with R&D
- Driven and capable of taking the initiative to drive projects with little oversight
- Basic knowledge of product development/testing in a (food, product, or ag) manufacturing environment
- A passion for food – eating it, cooking it, looking at it, growing it
As a startup, we all wear many different hats; roll up your sleeves, try something new, and get growing with the AVA team!
AVA is dedicated to creating products that empower people to enrich the planet. Transparent, free-from foods have never been more important, and yet most store-bought produce still comes in plastic packaging, from unclear sources, laced with pesticides, and improperly labelled. So, we set out to create AVA Byte, a smart indoor gardening technology that allows anyone, anywhere to grow their own food in less time than traditional agriculture, with better flavour, more sustainably than even organic. Who wouldn’t want better tasting tomatoes and kale, without any pesticides?
To apply for this job please visit avagrows.com.