- This event has passed.
The Food that Doesn’t Reach Our Plates
November 29, 2016 @ 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm
Ever wondered about the journey your food makes, before ending up on your plate? Where was it produced, and how many trucks, sacks and shipping containers did it pass through before reaching your neighbourhood hawker centre, supermarket, or your favourite restaurant? Just how much of it was lost along the way?
Consumer food waste is a growing concern, but almost 60% of food wastage in industrialised Asia happens before it reaches the consumer (i.e. along the supply chain). In the context of Singapore, where we import 90% of our food supply, questions arise over responsibility and action to reduce these losses, both within and beyond our borders.
Can we imagine a zero-waste food supply chain? Come on a journey with us to understand how valuable nutrients are being lost at each stage of the supply chain, and discuss:
- What are the sources of food loss along Singapore’s supply chains, and what potential impact does this have?
- What types of innovations are emerging, both globally and locally to address these challenges?
- What impact could new models of food sourcing and production in Singapore have on the region as a whole, as well as food loss regionally?
We will be launching the first-ever digital Global Food Logistics Innovations Map, populated with cutting-edge innovations in cold chain, ICT, packaging and supply chain structure. Explore the map, identify your favourite innovations, and hear how we want to work with business to apply innovations in the context of Singapore’s food supply chain.
Special guests for the evening will include:
- Prasanta Kalita, Director, ADM Institute for the Prevention of Postharvest Loss
- Dr. Tim Fox, Chair of the Food and Drink Engineering Committee, Institution of Mechanical Engineers
This event is part of the Disrupting Food Logistics project, an initiative of Forum for the Future, in partnership with the Institution of Mechanical Engineers and the ADM Institute for the Prevention of Postharvest loss. The project aims to motivate businesses along the food supply chain to take on the challenge of building the sustainable, zero-waste food supply chains of the future.
Invest alongside AgFunder in Co-Investment Fund II. Now open for investment. Learn More.