We are very proud of the coverage we’ve given the food and agriculture technology market over the year, but there are always stories in other publications that we wish we’d written!
This is particularly the case as more and more mainstream media pick up on the opportunity for technology startups to disrupt the food and ag industry.
Some articles offer in-depth insight into the technologies or companies cropping up in the space, while others present new and interesting viewpoints about certain categories of food or agritech.
We hope we gave our newsletter subscribers a good snapshot of what other media were writing about the industry each week. But in case you missed any, and borrowing a Bloomberg concept, here’s a selection of articles we wish we’d written, or that have been particularly popular among our subscribers.
The best in-depth overview:
The Economist’s Technology Quarterly: The Future of Agriculture
The best piece of investigative journalism:
Bloomberg: How Hampton Creek Sold Silicon Valley on a Fake-Mayo Miracle
On big ag & consolidation:
Foreign Policy: Why Is China Spending $43 Billion for a Farming Company?
Quartz: Six companies are about to merge into the biggest farm-business oligopoly in history
MIT Technology Review: Bayer Buys In to Monsanto’s Vision of High-Tech Agriculture
New York Times: Why Industrial Farms Are Good for the Environment
Guardian: Farming mega-mergers threaten food security, say campaigners
On big food:
Guardian: Big food faces annihilation unless it moves with millennials on health
Modern Farmer: Still Life with Mass Hysteria: Are GMOs Really That Bad?
Grist: What the New York Times missed with its big GMO story
Ensia: CRISPR is Coming to Agriculture — With Big Implications for Food, Farmers, Consumers and Nature
Fast Company: The Shocking Amount Of Science And Tech That Goes Into A Can Of Tomato Soup
On alternative proteins & meat production:
New Food Economy: Is Big Meat the future of plant-based protein?
Food Dive: Plant-based sources don’t always complete the protein puzzle
Quartz: Being vegan isn’t as good for humanity as you think
Guardian: Food tech is just men rebranding what women have done for decades
Food Dive: As livestock antibiotics use declines, how are producers keeping animals healthy?
On precision ag & big data:
Fast Company: Why Agriculture Could Be Automated Before Other Industries
Newsweek: $32 billion market expected for agricultural drones
Salon: Enough with the vertical farming fantasies: There are still too many unanswered questions about the trendy practice
Financial Times: The Great Land Rush: Investors face conflict in quest for farms
Civil Eats: The Dark Side of Agritainment
Modern Farmer: Everything You Want To Know About Turkey Sex
- CRISPR, GMO, or No? It’s Not That Clear Cut
- Will Consumer Acceptance Be The Challenge for CRISPR Technology in Agriculture?
- Ag Industry Brief: Farmers Edge, Ynsect, AgriProtein on Global Cleantech 100, Terravion Partners with FarmSolutions, Pegasus Ag to Invest in Indoor Ag Hub, more
- Ag Industry Brief: Big Strides in Cannabis Legalization, Organic Farmland Hits New Highs, Trimble’s Precision Ag Products, more
- Increasing Agtech Partnerships: a Precursor to Consolidation in Precision Ag?
- How an Agricultural Cooperative Partnered with Google to Build an Ag Big Data Storage Platform
- World Food Day: 6 Ways Agtech Can Help Improve Global Food Security
- Are Falling Farm Incomes Impacting Agtech Adoption for the Long Term?