Based in Silicon Valley, AgFunder is one of the most active foodtech and agtech VCs globally, investing in the next generation of iconic foodtech and agtech startups. We have $50 million in AUM and are currently raising our fourth fund, which will be our biggest yet. We also publish AFN and a lot of research reports. We invest in important and impactful themes like decarbonization, food as medicine, health and nutrition, alternative protein, novel foods, supply chain digitization, sustainability, indoor agriculture, automation, and more.
Meet some of the amazing and inspiring startups we’ve invested in here.
We’re looking for an exceptional Investment Associate or VP with a scientific background (preferably biology) to join our venture capital team. This is a partner track position where we will work collectively to identify and support bold and exceptional founders and technologies that are transforming our food and agriculture systems. You’ll play a key role in sourcing and analyzing startup investments, conducting due diligence, including deep dives in technical due diligence, and making investment recommendations on Seed to Series C startups across the agrifoodtech landscape.
To be successful you’ll need to be courageous, gregarious, outspoken, smart, curious, tireless, rigorous, persuasive, have intellectual breadth, strong quantitative, writing, and verbal skills, and be very comfortable forming and defending non-consensus views while making high conviction decisions under conditions of extreme uncertainty.
This is an incredible opportunity for the right person to come in early on a rapidly growing platform.
If you’re new to venture capital, we are keen to help! Rob Leclerc, one of our founding partners, put together a reading list for new analysts and associates which you can find here. We invest in training our team for the long term.
Why you WOULD want to join us
- We work alongside some of the smartest, most talented and passionate founders in the industry
- We’re intense, passionate and determined
- We believe that venture capital can be a powerful platform for change
- You have a high standard of excellence for yourself and others
- You want to build a career in agrifoodtech VC investing with us
- You are open-minded and curious
- You know how to ask uncomfortable questions
- You are able to operate autonomously and without much formal structure, as we’re a lean team and remote-first
- We are driven by a strong sense of purpose to make a strong positive impact on the world
- We’re low ego, and everyone are expected to stand up and speak truth to power We’re a fast-growing platform with a global outlook and reach. We love to win, and our funds consistently exceed the top-quartile performance threshold of VC funds.
Why you WOULD NOT want to join us
- We’re intense and passionate
- You have little interest in food and agriculture, sustainability, health and nutrition
- You are not a team player. Collaboration is a cornerstone of our way of doing things
- VC has long feedback loops and most of our investments will fail. VC is not a great career if you need a lot of frequent positive reinforcement. You’re the type of person who needs to be hands-on (VC is more like consulting than operations)
- You’re the type of person who needs to see all the data before making a decision (we make decisions under extreme uncertainty)
- You hate networking (A lot of VC is in highlighting your value to founders, coinvestors, industry relationships and Limited Partners)
If you’re still with us, additional MUST HAVEs include:
- High GPA
- Advanced STEM degree or BSc with 5 years of relevant work experience
- A clear history of exceptionalism in your academic and/or professional career
- An ability to lead and inspire
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- PhD (Ideally biology)
- Experience in consulting, venture capital, or startups
- Demonstrated interest in food & ag
- Shown an ability to build a personal brand
- Generating leads for new investment opportunities
- Proactively building and maintaining relations with startup founders and investors
- Exploring startups and build a deep understanding of relevant investment sectors
- Performing due diligence on select investment opportunities
- Presenting investment opportunities to our Screening Committee on a weekly basis
- Going deep and writing investment memos (typically 25-45 pages)
- Investment monitoring and supporting our portfolio companies
- Support in fundraising and investor communications
Apply here: https://airtable.com/shrCMstf6wCL3kece
This is a US-based position working on Pacific Time.